About Landspitali

Landspitali University Hospital (hereinafter Landspitali) is the leading hospital in Iceland as well as the largest, with around 700 beds. It is the largest workplace for health care employees.
The main role of Landspitali is threefold; service to patients, teaching and training of clinical staff and scientific research. The hospital offers diverse clinical services in outpatient clinics, day patient units, inpatient wards, critical care units, clinical laboratories and other divisions.

Its purpose is to supply health service of the highest quality, be competitive in world wide respective and it emphasizes on compassion, progress, safety and professionalism.
Landspitali is supervised by the Directorate of Health and both the hospital and the directorate report to the Ministry of Welfare.

The hospital offers a general evaluation of the student, if requested by the school and a form provided, but tests are not conducted. Confirmation letter of the training period is provided on request.
Icelandic students do not get paid salaries or receive any benefits from the university nor the hospital during their clinical placements and the same goes for foreign students.

The hospital provides a uniform and its laundering (trousers and jackets), not socks or shoes.

Status during study period

A citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) member state needs to have legitimate EEA travel documents, e.g. passport, for entering Iceland. Students from outside the EEA need to find out whether they need to provide additional documents and which rules apply for their respected country (for further information and questions see www.utl.is). The students’ status will be a tourist one: students do not need to register their legal domicile here nor obtain an Icelandic ID number if they stay less than 3 months.
If a student decides to enroll full time for a semester or more then he is required to have legitimate EEA travel documents for entering Iceland, sufficient insurance throughout his stay and a confirmation that he can afford living expenses during his stay in Iceland. A residence permit for a student is intended for a foreigner that studies at the University of Iceland. The applicant must however be registered as a full time student at the university.


Almost all documents regarding health care and the hospital are written in Icelandic. Most people speak English and/or a Nordic language but students will be working and living in an Icelandic-speaking environment. Fluency in English is required of all foreign students. 

Health certificates - IMPORTANT

Students need to provide the following health certificates before arrival and show them to the ward manager on the first day of their clinical practice.
Note that without these certificates students are not allowed to participate in the clinical practice at Landspitali.

  • MRSA test certificate: A recent (not more than approx. 7 days old) negative MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) screening test, from samples taken from nostrils, throat or rashes (if present).
  • Tuberculosis status certificate: Proof of the tuberculosis status; a recent (less than one year old) negative Mantoux (PPD) test or a report of negative chest X-ray. If the Mantoux test is positive, bring a report of negative chest X-ray and a confirmation of non-infectious status.
  • Immunization certificates: Certification of immunization against Diphteria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio, Measels (Morbilli), Rubella and Mumps (Parotitis epidemica).
  • Hepatitis B immunization certificate: Students doing clinical rotations (or working with human blood/tissue) need to be immunized against Hepatitis B (with completion of minimum two of the three basic immunizations, meaning that the vaccination must have started at least one month before departure).

Social security

EEA citizens

All insured citizens from member states of the EEA must bring the European Health Insurance Card or EHIC for use in Iceland. This does not apply to persons from the other Nordic countries since they only need a confirmation of insurance in another Nordic country. A fee, to be paid for each consultation, and other services, is fixed by a regulation. EEA nationals presenting the EHIC will be charged the same fee as persons insured in Iceland.
Insured citizens of EEA countries are entitled to benefits which become necessary on medical grounds during a temporary stay in Iceland, taking into account the nature of the benefits and the expected length of the stay.

Students from other countries

Other persons than mentioned above, who are not insured or not covered by the EEA regulations can obtain medical assistance but must, of course, pay in full. They can then seek reimbursement from their own insurance in their country of origin or from their private insurance (www.sjukra.is).

Living in Iceland

Students will have to provide all cost of their visit to Iceland. The cost of renting a single room privately or in a guesthouse is around 50.000 ISK per month and even more during the summer months, that price usually includes heating and electricity. The hospital does not have living quarters for staff or students - students need to find and pay themselves for a place to live. The main hospital buildings are located in city, or to be exact areas with the ZIP code 101 or 108. Foreign students usually stay in a guesthouse – please see information on the internet, such as www.visitreykjavik.is and www.gisting.is (on this website is a map where it is possible to see the location of the hospital buildings (Landspítali Háskólasjúkrahús).

Key links: